A Word A Day : Tantamount
Wednesday, 19th December 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : tan-tuh-mount
1. equivalent, as in value, force, effect or signification
2. agreeing exactly in value, quantity, or effect
3. being essentially equal to something
Mid-17th century - Anglo-French tant amunter - amount to as much - Old French tant as much + amonter - to amount
equal, equivalent, the same as, synonymous, as good as, identical, indistinguishable, close
different, opposite, polar, reverse
• The repudiation of theoretical scientific inquiry is tantamount to a denial of what may be our most characteristically human trait.
• His request is nothing but tantamount to a demand.
• His angry speech was tantamount to a declaration of war.
• He gave an answer that was tantamount to a refusal.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
From Tantamount to HOME PAGE