(Comparative : uncannier
Superlative : uncanniest)
Pronunciation : un-kán-nee
1. too strange or unlikely to seem merely natural or human
2. unexpectedly accurate or precise
3. arousing superstitious fear or dread
4. so keen and perceptive as to seem preternatural
5. of a mysteriously strange and usually frightening nature
Late 16th century - UN + CANNY - fortunate - safe (obsolete)
astonishing, astounding, creepy, devilish, eerie, exceptional, extraordinary, fantastic, ghostly, ghoulish, incredible, inexplainable, inspired, magical, miraculous, mysterious, mystifying, preternatural, prodigious, queer, remarkable, scary, secret, singular, spooky, superhuman, supernatural, supernormal, supranormal, unearthly, unheard-of, unnatural, unusual, weird
common, natural, funny, ordinary, silly, pleasant, common, usual
• The uncanny creatures flew in and out among the trees and tents, now swooping low near the Indians or the travelers.
• Again and again the queen led the girl into the depths and out again, until the uncanny weirdness of the thing got on my nerves so that I could have leaped into the tank to the child's rescue had I not taken a firm hold of myself.
• Uncanny sounds filled the house.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Follow These Links!