A Word A Day : Unwieldy
Thursday, 29th May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : un-weel-dee
1. hard to handle because of being large, heavy or awkward
2. too complex or extensive to be manageable
3. difficult to carry or manage because of size, shape, weight or complexity
awkward, bulky, clumsy, ungainly, unhandy, unmanageable, burdensome, cumbersome, cumbrous, elephantine, heavy, involved, ponderous, ungainly, weighty
• A bed mattress is unwieldy to move from one room to another.
• The unwieldy crowd which had entered the Medical School nearly two years before had thinned out.
• A piano is an unwieldy thing to move.
• We set about towing the unwieldy structure into the shelter.
• He heaved his unwieldy figure out of his chair.
• unwieldier & unwieldiest : Adjectives
• unwieldily : Adverb
• unwieldiness : Noun
This word is often incorrectly spelled and pronounced unwieldly, as if it were formed with the common adjectival ending -ly.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Unwieldy to HOME PAGE