Business Dictionary :
Vacancy, Vacant, Vacate and Vacation
Vacancy : noun : empty place or room (or) job which is not filled
• We advertised a vacancy in the local press.
• We have been unable to fill the vacancy for a skilled machinist.
• They have a vacancy for a secretary.
• Job vacancies = jobs which are empty and need people to do them
Vacancy Rate = average number of rooms empty in a hotel over a period of time (shown as a percentage of the total number of rooms)
Vacant : adjective : empty or not occupied
Vacant Possession = being able to occupy a property immediately after buying it because it is empty.
• The house is for sale with vacant possession.
Situations Vacant or Appointments Vacant = list (in a newspaper) of jobs which are available
Vacate : verb : to vacate the premises = to leave premises so that they become empty
Vacation : noun :
(a) GB period when the law courts are closed
(b) US holiday or period when people are not working
• The CEO is on vacation in Florida.
From Vacancy to HOME PAGE