A Word A Day : Whimsical
Monday, 25th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : wímzik'l & hwímzik'l
1. Erratic in behavior or degree of unpredictability
2. Slightly odd or playfully humorous, especially in an endearing way
3. Behaving in a way that is impossible to predict
4. Of the nature of or proceeding from whimsy, as thoughts or actions
5. Based on or subject to individual discretion or preference or sometimes impulse or caprice
6. Determined by chance or impulse rather than by necessity or reason
Probably from whim-wham - fanciful object.
capricious, changeable, erratic, fantastic, fantastical, fickle, freakish, inconsistent, inconstant, mercurial, temperamental, ticklish, uncertain, unpredictable, unstable, unsteady, variable, volatile
behaving, reasonable, sensible, dependable, serious, practical
• I enjoyed the whimsical
film until the animals became dangerous.
• Men who pay for what they eat will insist on gratifying their palates, however nice and whimsical
these may prove.
• As I lay in bed this morning between sleeping and waking, an idea came riding on a sunbeam into my room, a mad and whimsical
idea, but one that suits my mood.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Whimsical to HOME PAGE