Quotes and Quotations IndexFrom Word Quotes to HOME PAGE
Here are The Word Quotes
- Oaths are but words and words but winds.
(Samuel Butler : 1612-1680)
- When you hurt people, they begin to love you less.
That's what careless words do.
They make people love you a little less.
(Arundhati Roy : The God of Small Things)
- To force the pace and never to be still
Is not the way of those who study birds
The best poet waits for words
The hunt is not an exercise of will
But patient love relaxing on a hill....
In this the poet finds his moral proved,
Who never spoke before his spirit moved.
- Proper words in proper places make the true definition of a style.
(Jonathan Swift : 1667-1745)
- I wish our clever young poets would remember my homely definitions of prose and poetry.
That is prose = words in their best order and poetry = best words in the best order.
- For words, like Nature, half reveal
And half conceal the soul within.
- For all sad words of tongue or pen,
The saddest are these : It might have been!
(John G. Whittier : 1807-1892)
- When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said in rather a scornful tone, "It means just what I choose it to mean -- neither more nor less."
(Lewis Carroll : Alice's Adventures in Wonderland)