Business Dictionary :
Work : noun :
(a) things done using the hands or brain
Casual Work = work where the workers are hired for a short period
Clerical Work = work done in an office
Manual Work = heavy work done by hand
Work In Progress = value of goods being manufactured which are not complete at the end of an accounting period
(b) job or something done to earn money
• He goes to work by bus.
• She never gets home from work before 8 p.m.
• His work involves a lot of travelling.
• He is still looking for work.
• She has been out of work for six months.
= official document which allows someone who is not a citizen to work in a country
: no plural
(a) to do things with your hands of brain for money
• The factory is working hard to complete the order.
To work to rule
• She works better now that she has been promoted.
• To work a machine = to make a machine function
= to work strictly according to rules agreed between the company and the trade union and therefore work very slowly
(b) to have a paid job
• She works in an office.
From Work to HOME PAGE
• He works at Smith's.
• He is working as a cashier in a supermarket.