This ROOT-WORD is the Prefix AD which means TO & TOWARD. This key is a bit difficult. Please look at No. 15 on the list. The AD has become AC. In No. 16 the AD has become AF; in No. 17 AD has become AG. In No. 18 it is AL. In No. 19 it is AN. The d in all these words has assimilated with the letter of the root. Before r the d becomes AR; as in AR range; before s we have Assure; before t we have Attract; before p we have Approach. But they still all mean To & TOWARD
1. Adaptable: AD aptable (a dap’ ta b’l) adj.
Is able to fit in; pliable
2. Addict: AD dict (ad’ ikt) n.
One who is given over to a habit, often drugs
3. Adequate: AD equate (ad’ e kwat) adj.
Equal to the need; sufficient
4. Adhere: AD here (ad here’) v.
Stick to; be faithful
5. Adjacent: AD jacent (a jase’ ent) adj.
Lying near; side by side
6. Adjunct: AD junct (aj’ unkt) n.
One thing joined to another
7. Admire: AD mire (ad mire’) v.
Wonder at with pleasure
8. Adulterate: AD ulterate (a dul’ te rate) v.
To change to an impure quality; as to put sand in the cement
9. Advance: AD vance (ad vans’) v.
To go forward
10. Advantage: AD vantage (ad vant’ ij) n.
A favorable condition
11. Advertise: AD vertise (ad’ ver tize) v.
To notify about; bring to public attention
12. Advocate: AD vocate (ad’ vo kate) v.
To speak out for a worthy cause
13. Advice: AD vise (ad vize’) v.
To give guidance, advice; to caution
14. Administer: AD minister (ad min’ i ster) v.
To take charge of; to manage
15. Accept: AC cept (ak sept’) v.
To receive; to take to oneself
16. Affiance: AF fiancé ( a fie’ ans) v.
To promise to wed; to engage for marriage
17. Aggressive: AG gressive (a gres’ iv) adj.
Inclined to attack; drive forward
18. Allege: AL lege ( a jej’) v.
19. Announce: AN nounce ( a nouns’) v.
Make known to the public
20. Assert: As sert (a sert’) v.
To declare, state positively
From ad to HOME PAGE