These ROOT-WORDS are ALI, ALLO & ALTER all meaning OTHER. In spite of the various spellings they are still one ROOT and a very useful one. It opens doors to criminology, law, medicine, metallurgy, botany and the delicate matter of forgery (No.10). Never a dull moment!
1. Alias : ALI as (a’ lee as) n.
An assumed name, usually to escape the law
2. Alibi : ALI bi (al’ i bie) n.
Proof of being elsewhere at the time of a crime
3. Alien : ALI en (a’ lee en) n.
A foreigner; not a citizen
4. Alienable : ALI enable (ale’ ye na b’l) adj.
Can be transferred to another
5. Inalienable : in ALI enable (in ale’ ye na b’l) adj.
Cannot be taken away; as, inalienable rights
6. Alienist : ALI enist (a’ lee en ist) n.
One who treats diseases of the mind; a psychiatrist
7. Allogamy : ALLO gamy (a log’ a me) n.
Reproduction by cross-fertilization
8. Alienate : ALI enate (a’ lee a nate) v.
To transfer to another; to estrange
9. Alienation : ALI enation (a lee e nay’ shun) .
The act of transferring to another; as, alienation of affections
10. Allograph : ALLO graph (al’ o graf) n.
The signing of another’s name; forgery
11. Allotypical : ALLO typical (al o tip’ i kal) adj.
Relating to other types
12. Allolalia : ALLO lalia (al o lay’ li a) n.
A form of aphasia in which other words are spoken than those intended
13. Allonym : ALLO nym (al’ o nim) n.
The name of another person used by an author
14. Allonymous : ALLO nymous ( alon’ i mus) adj.
Using another’s name for one’s own work
15. Alter : ALTER (al’ ter) v.
To change somewhat
16. Alteration : ALTER ation (al ter ay’ shun)
A change; as, an alteration in plan was necessary
17. Alter ego : ALTER ego (al’ ter e go) n.
A second self; a bosom friend
18. Altercate : ALTER cate (al’ ter kate) v.
To dispute; to wrangle
19. Alternate : ALTER nate (al’ tern at) adj.
By turns, now one, now another; as, an alternate rhyme scheme
20. Alternative : ALTER native (al ter’ nat iv) n.