This ROOT-WORD is the Prefix AN which means NOT & ABSENCE OF. Sometimes, but rarely, the n is omitted, as in Abyss - bottomless depth. Do not confuse AN = NOT with the suffix AN which you have had in AmericAN - NATIVE OF. It makes all the difference in the world whether the ROOT-WORD in question is a Prefix or a Suffix.
1. Anecdote : AN ecdote (an’ ek dote) n.
A story or personal item not generally known
2. Anecdotage : AN ecdotage (an’ ek dote ij) n.
A collection of anecdotes
3. Anecdotal : AN ecdotal (an ek dote’ al) adj.
Interesting; lively in conversation
4. Anecdotist : AN ecdotist (an’ ek dote ist) n.
One who tells anecdotes
5. Anemia : AN emia (a nee’ mee a) n.
A condition in which there are not enough red blood cells
6. Anemic : AN emic ( a nee’ milk) adj.
Deficient in red blood cells
7. Anesthesia : AN esthesia (an es the’ zha) n.
Absence of felling; numbness
8. Anesthetic : AN esthetic (an es thet’ ik) n.
An agent to produce anesthesia, such as either
9. Anesthetize : AN esthetize (a nes’ the tize) v.
To induce anesthesia
10. Anesthetist : AN estheist (a nes’ thet ist) n.
The physician who administers the anesthetic
11. Anodyne : AN odyne (an’ o dine) n.
Creating an absence of pain; a narcotic
12. Anomaly : AN omaly (a nom’ a lee) n.
A difference from the common rule; as irregularity; as, a birdthat does not fly
13. Anomalous : AN omalous ( a nom’ a lus) adj.
14. Anonym : AN onym (an’ o nim) n.
A person or a writer who keeps his name unkown
15. Anonymous : AN onymous (a non’ I mus) adj.
Without a name; as, an anonymous donation
16. Anonymity : AN onymity (an o nim’ it ee) n.
The state of being nameless
17. Anelectric : AN electric (an e lek’ trik) adj.
Not electrified by friction
18. Anopia : AN opia (an o’ pi a) n.
Absence of the eye; vision that is defective
19. Anorganism : AN organism (an or’ gan iz um) n.
An inorganic body; as, a crystal
20. Anomy : AN omy (an’ o me) n.
State of absence of law and order
From An to HOME PAGE