ancy & ance
These ROOT-WORDS are the Suffixes ANCE & ANCY meaning ACTION, PROCESS, QUALITY, STYATE and DEGREE. It is surprising and pleasing to see how much of the strangeness of a word disappears as soon as you know the Prefixes and the Suffixes.
1. Accountancy : account ANCY (a kount’ an see) n.
The job of record keeping
2. Assistance : assist ANCE (a sis’ tans) n.
The act of giving help to one in need of it
3. Attendance : attend ANCE (a ten’ dans) n.
The act of waiting upon; service
4. Allowance : allow ANCE (A low’ ans) n.
The amount granted, often for expenses
5. Alliance : alli ANCE (A lie’ ans) n.
The state of being joined together
6. Defiance : defi ANCE (de fie’ ans) n.
The act of defying; state of being against
7. Endurance : endur ANCE (en dur’ ans) n.
The ability to withstand hardship
8. Elegance : eleg ANCE (el’ e gans) n.
The qualities of tastefulness and gracefulness
9. Reluctance : reluct ANCE (re luk’ tans) n.
10. Tolerance : toler ANCE (tol’ e rans) n.
An act of courteous forbearance to differences
11. Intolerance : intoler ANCE (in tol’ e rans) n.
Opposite of No.10
12. militance : milit ANCY (mil’ i tan see) n.
A fighting spirit
13. Dominance : domin ANCE (dom’ i nans) n.
State of authority
14. Relevance : relev ANCE (rel’ e vans) n.
Quality of being related to something
15. Vigilance : vigil ANCE (vij’ i lans) n.
16. Resistance : resist ANCE (re zis’ tans) n.
The process of standing against something
From Ancy & ance to HOME PAGE