This ROOT-WORD is the Suffix ATE which means to CAUSE & MAKE. In the following list all the words are verbs. In other places you will find ATE as an ending for nouns, as in No.2, which can also be a noun meaning a defender. No.7 can be a noun, too, meaning one who deviates. The meaning is practically the same - ATE = CAUSES & MAKES.
1. Dedicate : dedic ATE (ded’ i kate) v.
To set apart for a purpose
2. Advocate : advoc ATE (ad’ vo kate) v.
To speak for; to defend
3. Arrogate : arrog ATE (ar’ o gate) v.
To claim as one’s own without right
4. Educate : educ ATE (ej’ u kate) v.
To provide with schooling; to lead to knowledge
5. Consecrate : consecr ATE (kon’ se krate) v.
To put into religious office by a rite; to make sacred; as to consecrate an altar
6. Abbreviate : abbrevi ATE (a bree’ vee ate) v.
7. Deviate : devi ATE (dee’ vee ate) v.
To turn aside from the right way; cause to stray
8. Attenuate : attenu ATE (a ten’ yu wate) v.
To make thin; to weaken
9. Enumerate : enumer ATE (e nu’ mer ate) v.
To count; list one after the other
10. Emanate : eman ATE (em’ a nate) v.
To come from; to flow forth
11. Exaggerate : exagger ATE (eg zaj’ e rate) v.
To cause to appear larger than reality
12. Fascinate : fascin ATE (fas’ in ate) v.
To put under a spell; charm
13. Integrate : integr ATE (int’ e grate) v.
To cause to become a whole
14. Infiltrate : infiltr ATE (in fil’ trate) v.
To cause to slip through; as through enemy lines or a filter
15. Liquidate : liquid ATE (lik’ wi date) v.
To end a debt by payment; to eliminate
16. Segregate : segred ATE (seg’ re gate) v.
To keep apart; separate
17. Permeate : perme ATE (per’ mee ate) v.
To go through and through
18. Enervate : enerv ATE (en’ er vate) v.
To take away strength; enfeeble
19. Emancipate : emancip ATE (a man’ si pate) v.
To set free from control; release from slavery
20. Decimate : decim ATE (des’ i mate) v.
To kill every tenth man in a group; destroy large numbers
From ate to HOME PAGE