This ROOT-WORD is the Suffix CIAN which is really an extension of the Suffix AN & NATIVE TO. CIAN means HAVING A CERTAIN SKILL or ART. The beautiCIAN is one who knows how to create beauty. The PolitiCIAN knows how to manipulate politics. The musician knows how to create music; and so on with the rest of the list. Bear that in mind when you see CIAN, TIAN : ONE WHO.
1. Logician : logi CIAN (lo jish’ an).
An expert in the science of logic
2. Musician : musi CIAn (my zish’ an) n.
One skilled in music
3. Beautician : beauty CIAN (byue tish’ an) n.
An expert in beauty care
4. Dietician, or dietitian: dieti CIAN (die e tish’ an) n.
An expert in foods and nutrition
5. Statistician : statistic CIAN (stat i stish’ an) n.
An expert in compiling statistics
6. Technician : Techni CIAN (tek nish’ an) n.
An expert in the industrial arts
7. Pyrotechnician : Pyrotechni CIAN (pie ro tek nish’ an) n.
An expert at displaying fireworks
8. Magician : magi CIAN (ma jish’ an) n.
One skilled in magic
9. Mathematician : mathematic CIAN (math e ma tish’ an) n.
One skilled in mathematics
10. Mortician : morti CIAN (e lek trish’ an) n.
One versed in the practice of electricity
11. Electrician : elect ri CIAN (e lek trici an)n.
One versed in electrical works
12. Obstetrician : obstetric CIAN (ob ste trish’ an) n.
A physician whose specialty is delivering babies
13. Patrician : patri CIAN (pa trish’ an) n.
One nobly born in ancient Roman society; aristocrat
14. Pediatrician : pediatric CIAN (pede ee a trish’ an) n.
A physician whose specialty is the care of children
15. Physician : physic CIAN (fi zish’ an) n.
Another name for a doctor
16. Optician : opti CIAN (op tish’ an) n.
One whose specialty is making eyeglasses and other optical instruments
17. Politician : politi CIAN (pol i tish’ an) n.
An expert in politics
Go to the Etymology Index Page.