cyclo & cycl
These ROOT-WORDS are CYCL & CYCLO. They come from the Greek cyclos, meaning WHEEL, CIRCLE & CIRCULAR. A bit more about the CYCLOrama, No. 7. This curved background on the stage gives an audience a feeling of being part of the production. CYCLOPS, No. 8, was a hideous monster with a single eye, one of a race of giants. You can read about him in Greek mythology or in Homer’s Odyssey.
1. Cycle : CYCL e (sie’ kul) n.
A complete course of operations returning to its original state
2. Cyclic : CYCL ic (sie’ klik) adj.
Moving in circles or cycles
3. Cyclian : CYCL ian (sik’ li an) adj.
Moving in circles
4. Cyclical : CYCL ical (sie’ kli kal) adj.
Moving in a circle or cycle
5. Cyclometer : CYCL ometer (sie klom’ et er) n.
Instrument to measure area of circles
6. Cyclometry : CYCL ometry (sie klom’ e tri) n.
Science of measuring circles
7. Cyclorama : CYCL orama (sie klo ram’ a) n.
A spectacle painted on a curved beackground
8. Cyclops : CYCL ops (sie’ klops) n.
A mythical giant with one eye in the middle of his forehead
9. Cyclitis : CYCL it is (si klie’ tis) n.
Inflammation of the tissue behind the eyeball
10. Cyclograph : CYCLO graph (sie’ klo graf) n.
An apparatus attached to a bicycle which records the topography of the road
11. Cyclographer : CYCLO grapher (sie klog’ ra fer) n.
One who writes of a cycle of legends
12. Cycloid : CYCLO id (sie’ kloid) adj.
Circular or arranged in circles
13. Cyclone : CYCLO ne (sie’ klone) n.
A wind blowing circularly; a tornado
14. Cyclonology : CYCLO nology (sie klone’ ol’ o ji) n.
Study of cyclones
15. Cyclonoscope : CYCLO noscope (sie kloe’ no skope) n.
Apparatus for finding the center of a cyclone
16. Cyclopean : CYCLO pean (sie klo pee’ an) adj.
Like a Cyclops; having a median eye
17. Cyclopedia : CYCLO pedia (sie klo peed’ ee a) n.
The range of human knowledge
18. Cyclopedic : CYCLO pedic (sie klo pede’ ik) adj.
Being like an encyclopedia; as, a cyclopedic mind
19. Cycloscope : CYCLO scope (syk’ lo skop) n.
A machine to measure velocity of rotation
20. Cyclopedist : CYCLO pedist (sie klo pee’ dist) n.
One who writes for an encyclopedia
Go to the Etymology Index Page.
From cyclo to HOME PAGE