Degrees of Comparison :
Type III : Examples
Example : 1
New York is one of the most crowded cities in America. (S)
New York is more crowded than most cities in America. (C)
Very few cities in America are as crowded as New York. (P)
Example : 2
Very few books I have read are as good as this one. (P)
This book is better than many other books I have read. (C)
This is one of the best books I have read. (S)
Example : 3
Akbar was greater than most other emperors in the world. (C)
Akbar was one of the greatest emperors in the world. (S)
Very few emperors in the world were as great as Akbar. (P)
Example : 4
Sachin Tendulkar is one of the greatest cricketers in the world.
Sachin Tendulkar is greater than most cricketers in the world.
Very few cricketers in the world are as great as Sachin Tendulkar.
Example : 5
Very few animals are as useful as the cow.
The cow is more useful than many other animals.
The cow is one of the most useful animals.
Example : 6
Suresh is more industrious than many other boys of his age.
Suresh is one of the most industrious boys of his age.
Very few boys of his age are as industrious as Suresh.
Example : 7
Tilak was one of the most prominent leaders of India.
Tilak was more prominent than most other leaders.
Very few leaders were as prominent as Tilak.
Example : 8
Kolkatta is more thickly populated than most other cities of India.
Kolkatta is one of the most thickly populated cities of India.
Very few cities of India are as populated as Kolkatta.
EXERCISE : TYPE III
1. It was one of the best movies I had ever seen.
2. One of the most important benefits of banana is its contribution in keeping our gastrointestinal tract healthy.
3. It is one of the cheapest hobbies available to boys and girls.
4. Mark Wohlers was one of the hardest throwing pitchers in the league.
5. Very few actors in the world today are as famous as Amitabh Bachhan.
1. Traveler’s cheques and credit cards are safer than carting around wads of cash.
2. Banana is cheaper than other fruits.
3. The spot on her chin was even bigger than it had been the night before.
4. Non-smoking students made far better records in physical development than smokers.
5. The earliest work on dancing is the Natya Shashtra.
6. She hurried still faster.
7. It has taught me to help those who are less fortunate than I am.
8. His second leap was higher.
9. The background of dancing in India is as varied as the land of India itself.
10. Your language will always be understood best by your own family.
Degrees of Comparison
More Essays on Law and Management
Degrees of Comparison :
Degrees of Comparison To HOME PAGE
More To Explore