A Word A Day : erect
Wednesday, 11th June 2008 : Today's Word is ...
1. to build; construct; raise : to erect a house
2. to raise and set in an upright or vertical position : to erect a telegraph pole
3. to set up or establish, as an institution; found
4. Machinery : to assemble; make ready for use
5. to bring about; cause to come into existence : to erect barriers to progress
6. upright in position or posture: to stand or sit erect
7. raised or directed upward : a dog with ears erect
8. Botany : vertical throughout; not spreading or declined : an erect stem : an erect leaf or ovule
Related Forms :
erectable : adjective
erectly : adverb
erectness : noun
erect a skyscraper
an erect lily stalk
Two of far nobler shape, erect and tall.
His piercing eyes, erect, appear to view Superior worlds, and look all nature through.
But who is he, by years Bowed, but erect in heart?
I, who am a party, am not to erect myself into a judge.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From erect to HOME PAGE