These ROOT-WORDS are HUM & HUMAN which come from the Latin humus, meaning EARTH & GROUND and the Latin humanus which means MAN. It is interesting to follow the changes of idea here. It begins with HUMus, earth, then becomes HUMble, lowly; finally to HUMAN, Man. But we must never forget the origin of man; “Dust thou art and to dust thou must return.”
1. Humus : HUM us (hyu’ mus) n.
2. Humanities : HUMAN ities (hyu man’ i teze) n.
Studies and interests of a cultural type which enrich the spirit of mankind
3. Humate : HUM ate (hyu’ mate) n.
A salt of a humic acid
4. Exhume : ex HUM e (egz yume’) v.
Take out of the ground; unearth; disinter
5. Exhumate : ex HUM ate (eks hyu’ mate) v.
To exhume; disinter
6. Exhumation : ex HUM ation (eks hu may’ shun) n.