is the Prefix INTER
which means BETWEEN & AMONG
. It is a very much needed ROOT-WORD, very social-minded and minding other people’s business. It always comes INTER & BETWEEN, this thing and that, this person and that. Watch the spelling and the pronunciation. Don’t say it carelessly because there are two other ROOT-WORDS which are similar in spelling and pronunciation, but have different meanings. You must be prepared to understand the distinction between them.
1. Interaction : INTER action (int e rak’ shun) n.
Action for mutual advantage
2. Interaxillary : INTER axillary (in ter ak’ si lar i ) adj.
Coming between two axils of leaves
3. Interborough : INTER borough (in’ ter bur o) adj.
Operating between boroughs
4. Intercede : INTER cede (int er sede’) v.
To act between two parties in order to restore friendship
5. Interdependent : INTER dependent (in ter do pen’ dent) adj.
Dependent, each one upon the other
6. Interdict : INTER dict (in’ ter dikt) v.
To forbid; as, to interdict trade with certain nations
7. Intercept : INTER (cept (in ter sept’) v.
To take between sending and delivery; as, intercept a letter
8. Interciliary : INTER cept (in ter sept’) v.
Between the eyebrows
9. Intercostals : INTER costal (int er kost’ al) adj.
Between the ribs
10. Intercourse : INTER course (int’ er kors) n.
Correspondence or trade between or among people
11. Interfaith : INTER faith (int’ er fathe) n.
Involving persons of various religions
12. Interfere : INTER fere (int er fere’) v.
To enter into the concerns of others; to clash; to meddle
13. Interfoliate : INTER foliate (in ter foe’ li ate)
Put leaves between pages in books
14. Interject : INTER ject (in er jekt’) v.
Throw between or among; as, interject humorous remarks
15. Interlude : INTER lude (int’ er lude) n.
A period between; as, a short play between the acts of a long one
16. Interpose : INTER pose (int er poze’) v.
To place between; to intrude
17. Interpolate : INTER polate (in ter’ po late) v.
To insert; as, to put into a book matter which changes the
purpose of the author
18. Interstate : INTER state (int er state’) adj.
Between states; as, interstate commerce
19. Intervene : INTER vene (int er vene’) v.
Come between; interfere
20. Intervention : INTER vention (in ter ven’ chun) n.
The act of coming between; interference