English for Students
What is NEW?
Beauties of English
Your English Teacher
TOP 100 Poems
Irregular Modifiers :
Degrees of Comparison (Irregular Forms)
The irregular comparative and superlative forms of certain adjectives and adverbs must be memorized.
Here are a few examples of irregular forms which are very frequently used in English Sentences.
late…..later…..last or latest
Exercise : 1
Forming Irregular Comparative and Superlative Degrees.
Write the appropriate form of the modifier in parentheses to complete each sentence.
EXAMPLE : Tanya is a better athlete than her twin sister. (good)
1. Soccer is the sport Eddy plays _________ of all. (well)
2. We hiked until we could go no _____. (far)
3. Hillary felt ________ about the unkind remark than about anything else. (bad)
4. Phil ate the _________ amount of food of anyone at the party. (little)
5. Elsa was the _______ guest to leave. (late)
6. Jed needed no __________ explanation. (far)
7. This is the _________ meal I ever ate. (good)
8. Suddenly the patient became ________ than before. (ill) 9. I did _________ of all on Part IV of the test. (badly)
10. This week’s winner won the __________ money ever in a sweepstakes. (much)
1. Soccer is the sport Eddy plays
2. We hiked until we could go no
3. Hillary felt
about the unkind remark than about anything else.
4. Phil ate the
amount of food of anyone at the party.
5. Elsa was the
guest to leave.
6. Jed needed no
7. This is the
meal I ever ate.
8. Suddenly the patient became
9. I did
of all on Part IV of the test.
10. This week’s winner won the
money ever in a sweepstakes.
Exercise : 2
Using Adjectives and Adverbs to Make Comparisons.
Use each modifier in a sentence of your own that shows a clear comparison.
Use three comparative forms and two superlatives.
EXAMPLE: (many) Jenny ate more cookies than I did.
1. (bad) : The worst student is the class is Raju.
2. (badly) : The incident gave me a worst memoire.
3. (good) : ICICI Bank offers better banking services than other banks do.
4. (little) : The marks I scored in this exam is lesser than what I scored last time.
5. (well) : He is doing better these days.
More Essays on Law and Management
Irregular Modifiers :
Irregular Modifiers To HOME PAGE
back to top