This ROOT-WORD is the Suffix ITE. It means NATIVE OF, QUALITY OF, MINERAL & PRODUCT. When ITE is used, there is always the quality of belonging. As you read the list you will learn words describing nationality, science chemistry, geology, and zoology. ITE is a convenient little Suffix to make names with.
1. Appetite: appet ITE (ap’ e tite) n.
2. Exquisite: exquis ITE (ek skwiz’ it) adj.
Having the quality of great beauty
3. Expedite: exped ITE (ek; spe dite) v.
To hasten: to quicken
4. Anti-Semite: anti-sem ITE (ant I sem’ ite) n.
One against the Semitic race, especially against Jews
5. Anthracite: anthrac ITE (an’ thra site) n.
A hard, natural coal
6. Dynamite: dynamo ITE (die’ na mite) n.
A powerful explosive
7. Granite: gran ITE (gran’ it) n.
A firm, grainy rock
8. Israelite: Israel ITE (iz’ ree e lite) n.
A native of Israel
9. Graphite: graph ITE (graf’ ite) n.
A pure carbon used in lead pencils
10. Meteorite: meteor ITE (meet’ ee o rite) n.
A stony metallic body falling from outer space
11. Suburbanite: suburban ITE (su bur’ ba nite) n.
One who lives in a suburb
12. Stalactite: stalact ITE (sta lak’ tite) n.
A rock formation which hangs like an icicle from the ceiling of a cave; a product of dripping
13. Stalagmite: stalagm ITE (sta lag’ mite) n.
A rock formation which rises from the floor of a cave
14. Favorite: favour ITE (fave’ o rit) n.
One who is regarded above others
15. Dolomite: dolom ITE (do’ lo mite) n.
A mineral composed of carbonates of calclum and management
16. Sulfite: sulf ITE (sul’ fite) n.
A salt of sulphurous acid
17. Pyrite: pyr ITE (pire’ ite) n.
A common mineral of yellow brass color; sometimes called “fool’s gold"
Go to the Etymology Index Page
From ite HOME PAGE