ity & ty
These ROOT-WORDS are the Suffixes TY & ITY which mean STATE OF & QUALITY. These ROOT-WORDS make nouns from adjectives, as pure - purITY. Sometimes only TY is used, as in liberTY, HumpTY DumpTY, and others. Both forms mean the same thing - STATE & QUALITY.
1. Celerity : celer ITY (se ler’ it ee) n.
The quality of quickness; speed
2. Absurdity : absurd ITY (ab surd’ it ee) n.
The state of being ridiculous
3. Acerbity : acerb ITY (a ser’ bit ee) n.
The quality of bitterness
4. Acuity : acu ITY (a kyue’ it ee) n.
The quality of sharpness, as a needle
5. Debility : debil ITY (de bil’ it ee) n.
A state of weakness
6. Ambiguity : ambigu ITY (am bi gyue’ it ee) n.
The quality of uncertainty in meaning
7. Authority : author ITY (au thor’ it ee) n.
The state of having power to act
8. Amenity : amen ITY (a men’ it ee) n.
The quality of pleasantness
9. Captivity : captiv ITY (cap tiv’ it ee) n.
State of being held captive
10. Ability : abil ITY (a bil’ it ee) n.
The quality of being able to do things
11. Charity : char ITY (char’ it ee) n.
Kindness to the poor
12. Chastity : chast ITY (chas’ tit ee) n.
The state of sexual purity
13. Clarity : clar ITY (clar’ it ee) n.
Quality of clearness
14. Complexity : complex ITY (kom plek’ sit ee) n.
The quality of being complicated
15. Adversity : advers ITY (ad ver’ sit ee) n.
The state of bad fortune, suffering
16. Dignity : dign ITY (dig’ nit ee) n.
The state of being worthy; self respect
17. Eternity : etern ITY (e ter’ nit ee) n.
State of timelessness; time without end
18. Fraternity : fratern ITY (fra ter’ nit ee) n.
The quality of being brothers
19. Garrulity : garrul ITY (ga ru’ lit ee) n.
The quality of talkativeness
20. Luminosity : luminos ITY (lu mi nos’ it ee) n.
The state of having a great deal of light; brilliance
Go to the Etymology Index Page.
From ity HOME PAGE