This ROOT-WORD is the Suffix IVE meaning CAUSING & MAKING. We call IVE a causaltIVE - the word carries in itself that which means CAUSING & IVE. I am certain that you have noticed that the words listed are getting longer and longer. In word building we add to the root such pieces that change the meaning of the word grammatically, and give us an opportunity to express ourselves with exactitude. Scientific names are long for the same reason. Every element is a ROOT-WORD in the name.
1. Declarative : declarat IVE (de klar’ at iv) adj.
Tending to make a statement
2. Derogative : derogate IVE (de rog’ at ive) adj.
Tending to lessen value or respect
3. Affirmative : affirmat IVE (a fir’ mat iv) adj.
Tending to agree; as, an affirmative reply
4. Additive : addit IVE (ad; it ive) adj.
Tending to add or be added
5. Subtractive : subtract IVE (sub trak; tiv) adj.
Tending to take away
6. Aggressive : aggress IVE (a gres’ iv) adj.
Tending to push oneself forward
7. Appreciative : appreciate IVE (a pre’ shat iv) adj.