matric, matri & matro
These ROOT-WORDS are MATRI, MATRIC & MATRO. They come from the Latin word mater meaning MOTHER. It may come as a surprise to have words like Nos: 9, 17 and 3, because we are accustomed to hear them in the male form. With the ROOT-PATER (father) you met many of these words with PATER instead of MATER.This ROOT-WORD, MATRIC is used quite often in our lives.
1. Mater : MATER (mate’ er) n.
Word for mother taken directly from the Latin
2. Matrix : MATRI x (may’ triks) n.
The womb; the material in which a gem, fossil, metal is embodied
3. Matriarch : MATRI arch (may’ tree ark) n.
The head of the mothers in a group, tribe
4. Matriculate : MATRIC ulate (ma trik’ yu late) v.
To enroll or register in a college
5. Matriculation : MATRIC ulation (ma trik yu lay’ shun) n.
Enrollment in a college
6. Matriculant : MATRI coolant (ma trik yu lay’ shun) n.
One who registers in a college
7. Matrimony : MATRI mony (ma’ tri moe nee) n.
State of wedlock; marriage
8. Matrimonial : MATRI monial (ma tri moe’ nee al) adj.
Relating to marriage
9. Matriotism : MATRI otism (may’ tri ot iz um) n.
Love of mother country or alma mater
10. Matripotestal : MATRI potestal (may tri po tes’ tal) adj.
Relating to the power exercised by the mother
11. Matrilineal : MATRI lineal (ma tri lin’ ee al) adj.
Relating to the mother’s side of the family
12. Maternal : MATER nal (ma tern’ al) adj.
Relating to the mother; motherly
13. Matris : MATRIS (ma’ triz) n.
The mother goddess of the Hindu deities
14. Matricide : MATRI cide (ma’ tri side) n.
The murder of one’s mother
15. Matron : MATRO n (may’ tron) n.
A woman who has a supervisory role in institution for women or children
16. Matroclinous : MATRO clinous (mat ro klie’ nus) adj.
Inheriting characteristics from the mother
17. Matronymic : MATRO nymic (ma tro nim’ ik) n.
Name derived from the name of the mother or other female ancestor
18. Maternity : MATER nity (ma ter’ nit ee) n.
The state or quality of being a mother
19. Matriarchate : MATRI archate (may’ tree ark at) n.
The rulership of a woman
20. Metropolis : METRO polis (me trop’ o lis) n.
The mother city; the chief city of a designated area
Etymologymatric to HOME PAGE