mob, mov & mot
These ROOT-WORDS are MOB, MOT & MOV all meaning MOVE. They come from the Latin words mobilis, movere, motus, all meaning move, and in them you get the reason for the changes in spelling. In a sense this page is a powerful motor for vocabulary enrichment. Each one serves as a small stimulus and adds its strength to the others until they become a source which will never let you down. Remember them and you will never lose.
11. Motorcade : MOT orcade (mote’ or kade) n.
1. Mobile : MOB ile (mo’ bele) adj.
Capable of moving
2. Mobilize : MOBilize (mo’ bi lize) v.
To assemble for movement; as, mobilize forces
3. Mobilization : MOB ilization (mo bi li zay’ shun) n.
The act of assembling for action
4. Mobility : MOB ility (mo bil’ it ee) n.
The quality of being able to move
5. Motion : MOT ion (mo’ shun) n.
Movement; action; as, make a motion
6. Motionless : MOT ionless (mo’ shun les( adj.
7. Motive : MOT ive (mote’ iv) n.
Cause; inducement to move; stimulus to act
8. Motivation : MOT ivation (mote i vay’ shun) n.
The reason for an action; cause, inducement
9. Mover : MOV er (mu’ ver) n.
One who moves
10. Motor : MOT or (mote’ or) n.
That which imparts motion; source of mechanical power
A group of vehicle going together
12. Automobile : auto MOB ile (au’ to mo bele) n.
A motor vehicle; self-moving
13. Automotive : auto MOT ive (au to mote’ iv) adj.
14. Demote : de MOT e (de mote’) v.
Move away; move down
15. Emotional : e MOT ional (e mo’ shun al) adj.
Moved strongly by feelings; as, an emotional act
16. Motivate : MOT ivate (mote’ i vate) v.
Move to action; as, anger will motivate crime
17. Immobile : im MOB ile (im o’ bil) adj.
Not moving; motionless
18. Demobilization : de MOB ilization (de mo bi li zay’ shun) n.
The act of disbanding the armed forces
19. Motordrome : MOT ordrome (mote’ or drome) v.
A course for racing automobiles
20. Promotion : pro MOT ion (pro mo’ shun) n.
A move to a higher position; advancement
Etymologymob HOME PAGE