multi & multus
These ROOT-WORDS are MULTUS & MULTI which come from the Latin mulus which means MANY & MUCH. This ROOT has mathematical significance, being completely involved with the process of MULTIplication. The very minute you see this ROOT you know MUCH. No. 10 might be inconvenient, if four babies appeared at once, but no one minds the state of being a MULTImillionaire, or seeing a MULTItude of stars.
11. Multiped : MULTI ped (mul’ tip ed) n.
1. Multifold : MULTI fold (mul’ ti fold) adj.
Folded many times
2. Multifarious : MULTI farious (mul ti far’ ee us) adj.
3. Multigraph : MULTI graph (mul’ ti graf) n.
A machine which prints many copies
4. Multilateral : MULTI lateral (mul ti lat’ e ral) adj.
Many sided; as, a multilateral treaty
5. Multilingual : MULTI lingual (mul ti lin’ gwal) adj.
Relating to many languages
6. Multilinguist : MULTI linguist (mul ti lin’ gwist) n.
One who speaks many languages
7. Multilocation : MULTI location (mul ti lo kay’ shun) n.
Present in many places simulataneously
8. Multiloquent : MULTI loquent (mul til’ o kwent) adj.
Speaking much; loquacious
9. Mulltimilionaire: MULTI millionaire (mul ti mil yu nair’) n.
One who has many millions
10. Multiparous : MULTI parous (mul tip’ a rus) adj.
Giving birth to more than one child at a time
An organism with many feet; as, a centipede
12. Multiple : MULTI ple (mul’ ti p’l) adj.
Consisting of more than one; manifold
13. Multiplicand : MULTI plicand (mul ti pli kand’) n.
That number in an example which is to be multiplied
14. Multiplication : MULTI placation (mul ti pli kay’ shun) n.
An arithmetical process for increasing a number quickly
15. Multiplicity : MULTI plicity (mul ti plis’ it ee) n.
The quality of being multiple; as, a multiplicity of thoughts
16. Multiply : MULTI ply (myl’ ti pile) v.
To increase a number quickly by multiplication
17. Multitude : MULTI tude (mul’ ti tyude) n.
A great number; cannot be counted
18. Multiplex : MULTI plex (mul’ ti pleks) adj.
19. Multiplier : MULTI plier (mul’ ti plie er) n.
One who or that which multiplies
Etymologymulti to HOME PAGE