tent, ten, tain & tinu
These ROOT-WORDS are TEN, TENT, TAIN & TINU. All come from the Latin teneo which means HOLD TOGETHER & HOLD. Looking down the word list I am certain that you are beginning to realize that the more than half-hundred ROOT-WORDS which you have accumulated have begun to pay dividends.
1. Tenant : TEN ant (ten’ ant) n.
One who holds a lease on a house or apartment; occupant
2. Untenanted : un TEN anted (un ten’ and ed) adj.
Not lived in; not having tenants
3. Tenable : TEN able (ten’ a b’l) adj.
Able to be held, defended; as, a tenable argument
4. Untenable : un TEN able (un ten’ a b’l) adj.
Cannot be held; not tenable
5. Tenacity : TEN acity (te nas’ it ee) n.
The quality of holding together; as, tenacity of purpose
6. Tenacious : TEN acious (te nay’ shus) adj.
Tending to hold gogether firmly
7. Contents : con TENT s (kon; tents) n.
What is held together; contained; as, the contents of a room
8. Contented : con TENT ed (kon tent’ ed) adj.
Easy in mind; as, contented with one’s lot
9. Discontented : discon TENT ed (disk on tent’ ed) adj.
10. Contentment : con TENT ment (kon tent’ ment) n.
Satisfaction with one’s lot
11. Intention : in TENT (in tent’) adj.
Holding one’s mind on the matter at hand; engrossed; as, intenton the work
12. Intention : in TENT ion (in ten’ chun) n.
Aim; resolve; as, it is my intention to study medicine
13. Maintain : main TAIN (mane tane’) v.
To keep up; uphold firmly
14. Maintenance : main TEN ance (mante’ en ans) n.
Support; as, maintenance of valuables
15. Retain : re TAIN (re tane’) v.
To keep; to hold secure; as, retain control of
16. Retentive : re tent ive (re tent’ iv) adj.
Tending to hold; as, a retentive memory
17. Continue : con TIN ue (kon tin’ yue) v.
To carry on; to keep on; as, continue to beg
18. Continual : con TIN ual (kon tin’ yu al) adj.
Often repeated; as continual ringing of the phone
19. Continually : con TIN ually (kon tin’ yu al ee) adv.
Go to the Etymology Index Page.