vicis & vic
These ROOT-WORDS are VIC & VICIS which mean CHANGE, SUBSTITUTE & DEPUTY. Words Nos. I through 14 should not be difficult to pronounce because you have learned all the ROOTS. No. 15 to No. 18 will not be difficult if you look at the ROOT- VICIS and then add the other syllables. In Latin the VICIS sounds like VIK IS, but in English we pronounce VIS IS. Language study requires adaptability.
1. Vicar : VIC ar (vik’ ar) n.
One who serves as assistant, substitute, or deputy to a rector
2. Vicarly : VIC arly (vik’ ar li) adv.
In the manner of a vicar
3. Vicarage : VIC arage (vik’ a rij) n.
The residence of a vicar
4. Vicaress : VIC aress (vik’ are s) n.
A female vicar or the wife of a vicar
5. Vicarate : VIC arate (vik’ a rat) n.
The authority and office of vicar
6. Vicariate : VIC ariate (vie kare’ ee at) n.
The same as No. 5
7. Vicarial : VIC arial (vie kare’ ee al) adj.
Relating to a vicar; delegated
8. Vicar ship : VIC arship (vik’ ar ship) n.
The state and dignity of the office of a vicar
9. Vicarianism : VIC arianism (vie kar’ i an iz um) n.
The belief that one man can substitute for another in the performance of religious duties
10. Vicarian : VIC arian (vie kar’ i an) n.
One who believes in vicarianism
11. Vicariate : VIC ariate (vie kar’ i ate) v.
To assume the duties and to serve in the place of another
12. Vicarious : VIC arious (vie kare’ ee us) adj.
Being substituted; as, a vicarious pleasure
13. Vicariously : VIC ariously (vie kare’ ee us lee) adv.
Substituting for another; experiencing through another’s experience
14. Vicariousness : VIC ariousness (vie kare’ ee us ness) n.
The state of substitution for another
15. Vicissitude : VIC issitude (vi sis’ i tude) n.
Change in fortune
16. Vicissitous : VIC issitous (vi sis’ i tus) adj.
Experiencing changes in fortune
17. Vicissitudinous : VIC issitudinous (vi sis i tude’ in us) adj.
Filled with the changes of fortune, difficulties
18. Vicissitudinary : VIC issitudinary (vi sis’ i tue di nar i) adj.
Characterized by changes of fortune
Go to the Etymology Index Page.
From vicis to HOME PAGE