A Word A Day : Impromptu
Monday, 10th September 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : im-promp'tu
1. Prompted by the occasion rather than being planned in advance
2. Spoken, performed, done or composed with little or no preparation
3. Spoken, performed, or composed with little or no preparation or forethought
4. A few unrehearsed comments
5. Trying to sound offhanded and reassuring
French, from Latin in promptu, at hand : in prōmptū, ablative of promptus, readiness, from past participle of promere, to bring forth
• It takes more than three weeks to prepare a good impromptu
• He is famous for writing that kind of impromptu
descriptive verse which the Chinese call Ying.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
Synonyms and Antonyms
Longest Word |
From Impromptu to HOME PAGE