A Word A Day : Rubric
Sunday, 19th August 2007 : Today's Word is...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : (ru'brik)
1. Directions for religious ceremony
2. A title or heading of a statute or chapter in a code of law
3. A short commentary or explanation covering a broad subject
4. A direction in a missal, hymnal, or other liturgical book
5. A part of a manuscript or book, such as a title, heading or initial letter that appears in decorative red lettering or is otherwise distinguished from the rest of the text
6. Red ocher
7. Title or heading (in red print)(Typography)
8. A statute regarded as authoritative
9. A set of criteria for grading assignments (Academic)
Middle English rubrike, heading, title, from Old French rubrique, from Latin rubrīca, red chalk , from ruber, rubr - red
• This mission is sometimes discussed under the rubric
of horizontal escalation.
• This kind of answer given in a measured official tone, as of a clergyman reading according to the rubric
, did not help to justify the glories of the Eternal City.
• The dial on my watch is luminous
. It casts a green glow in the dark.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
Synonyms and Antonyms
Longest Word |
From Rubric to HOME PAGE