A Word A Day : Agglomeration
( Noun )
Sunday, 2nd December 2007 : Today's Word is ...
Pronunciation : a-glom'e-ra'shen
1. The act or process of gathering into a mass
2. A confused or jumbled mass
3. Accumulation into a single entity, such as a holding company, of several diverse and unrelated activities
4. A grouping of a number of similar thingsSynonyms:
Bank, Cumulus, Drift, Heap, Hill, Mass, Mess, Mound, Mountain, Pile, Shock, Stack, TumbleContextual Examples:
• To avoid the problems of large urban agglomerations
, the state decentralized the university system.
• The ether, my friend, is an agglomeration
of imponderable atoms, which, relatively to their dimensions, are as far removed from each other as the celestial bodies are in space.Related Words:
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day IndexFrom Agglomeration to HOME PAGE