A Word A Day : Alacrity
Sunday, 1st June 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : alá-kri-tee
1. promptness or eager and speedy readiness
2. cheerful willingness
3. liveliness and eagerness
Early 16th century - Latin alacritas - alacer - lively
eagerness, enthusiasm, readiness, quickness, promptness, speed, swiftness, rapidity, keenness, zeal, liveliness
sluggishness, apathy, aversion, disinclination, dullness, indifference, reluctance, slowness, unwillingness
• Strickland was glad to show me her children and she accepted my invitation with alacrity.
• AMBITION is like choler : which is an humor that maketh men active, earnest, full of alacrity and stirring, if it be not stopped.
• In time of war the poor are accustomed to show no alacrity without they have provisions found them; when they have, then indeed they are willing to fight.
• We accepted the invitation with alacrity.
• alacritous : Adjective
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Alacrity to HOME PAGE