A Word A Day : Arcane
Thursday, 28th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
Arcane( Adjective )
Pronunciation : aar-káyn Definition
1. difficult or impossible to understand
2. requiring secret knowledge to be understood
3. mysteriously obscure
4. that which is hidden or secret; usually refers to rites associated with the mystery religions or secret societies
5. known or understood by only a fewEtymology:
Early 16th century - Latin arcanus- closed, secret - arca - boxSynonyms
cabalistic, cryptic, enigmatic, mysterious, mystic, mystical, mystifying, occult, puzzling, esoteric, hidden, impenetrable, mystic, recondite, unaccountable, unknowable, esoteric, hidden, secret
means selecting what seems best of various styles, methods or ideas.
means intended for and understandable by only a small knowledgeable group.
means of an obscure nature.
means having a divine meaning that transcends human understanding.Antonyms
common, commonplace, comprehensible, knowable, known, normal, outwardContextual Examples:
• She knew a lot about Sanskrit grammar and other arcane
• I could not understand those arcane
• Tokyo Butter is far from an elegy or a memorial; reaching beyond traditional limitations, it seeks remnants of Deidre's life, passion, and essence in news stories, arcane
tidbits of science, balloon warfare, and Internet search engines, among other places.
• The rites of the secret cult were arcane
. No one outside the cult knew what they were.
• The arcane
formula for the cocktail was scrawled in blood on a faded scrap of paper.
• We could make out only a little of the arcane
inscription on the old trunk. Related Words:
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.A Word A Day IndexFrom Arcane to HOME PAGE