Pronunciation : aar-káyn
1. difficult or impossible to understand
2. requiring secret knowledge to be understood
3. mysteriously obscure
4. that which is hidden or secret; usually refers to rites associated with the mystery religions or secret societies
5. known or understood by only a few
Early 16th century - Latin arcanus- closed, secret - arca - box
cabalistic, cryptic, enigmatic, mysterious, mystic, mystical, mystifying, occult, puzzling, esoteric, hidden, impenetrable, mystic, recondite, unaccountable, unknowable, esoteric, hidden, secret
• Eclectic means selecting what seems best of various styles, methods or ideas.
• Esoteric means intended for and understandable by only a small knowledgeable group.
• Mysterious means of an obscure nature.
• Mystical means having a divine meaning that transcends human understanding.
common, commonplace, comprehensible, knowable, known, normal, outward
• She knew a lot about Sanskrit grammar and other arcane matters.
• I could not understand those arcane economic theories.
• Tokyo Butter is far from an elegy or a memorial; reaching beyond traditional limitations, it seeks remnants of Deidre's life, passion, and essence in news stories, arcane tidbits of science, balloon warfare, and Internet search engines, among other places.
• The rites of the secret cult were arcane. No one outside the cult knew what they were.
• The arcane formula for the cocktail was scrawled in blood on a faded scrap of paper.
• We could make out only a little of the arcane inscription on the old trunk.
• arcanely : Adverb
• arcaneness : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.