A Word A Day : Temerity
Wednesday, 27th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : te-mérre-tee
1. Reckless confidence that might be offensive
2. The state of being foolishly bold or brash
3. The trait of being willing to undertake things that involve risk or danger
15th century - Latin - temeritas - rashness - temere - rashly, blindly
brashness, foolhardiness, incautiousness, rashness, recklessness, temerariousness, nerve, audacity, assurance, audacity, boldness, brass, carelessness, daring, effrontery, forwardness, gall, hardihood, hastiness, heedlessness, impertinence, impetuosity, imprudence, impudence, impulsiveness, indiscretion, intrepidity, intrusiveness, overconfidence, pluck, precipitancy, precipitateness, precipitation, presumption, rashness, rudeness, thoughtlessness, venturesomeness
• Temerity is daring or recklessness.
• Timidity is fearfulness or hesitancy.
• Effrontery means shameless boldness or insulting presumptuousness.
• Affront is a deliberately offensive act or open insult.
care, caution, cowardice, forethought, hesitation
• Our waiter at the restaurant had the temerity to tell me that he thought that my table manners were atrocious.
• The mountain climber had more temerity than skill or sense.
• I shall have the temerity to ask for more than her forgiveness,' said the Squire.
• Pontellier entered, wondering who had the temerity to disturb him at that hour of the morning.
• Facts have long since upstaged fiction and the novelistic imagination now contents itself with documenting incidents it wouldn't have the temerity to invent.
• I repeat it, to be matter of profound astonishment and intense wonder, that Nathaniel Pipkin should have had the temerity to cast his eyes in this direction.
• temerariousness : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Temerity to HOME PAGE