A Word A Day : Blasphemous
Saturday, 16th February 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : blás-fe-mess
1. expressing or involving disrespect for God or sacred things
2. Impiously irreverent
3. characterized by profanity or cursing
4. (of behavior or especially language) characterized by obscenity or indecency
In religion, words or actions that display irreverence toward or contempt for God or that which is held sacred. Blasphemy is regarded as an offense against the community to varying degrees, depending on the extent of the identification of a religion with the society at large or the government.
Middle English blasfemous, from Late Latin blasphēmus, from Greek blasphēmos, from blasphēmein, to blaspheme
profane, sacrilegious, irreligious, offensive, improper, irreverent, impious, ungodly, cursing, disrespectful, godless, insulting, profanatory, profane, swearing
godly, pious, religious, respectful, reverent
• The poster on the wall was blasphemous.
• His roaring curses of the first part of the fight had changed to a blasphemous chatter.
• You do not know Him, but He is here, He is in me, He is in my words, He is in thee, and even in those blasphemous words thou hast just uttered.
• blaspheme : Verb
• blasphemously : Adverb
• blasphemy : Noun
• blasphemousness : Noun
Common Misspellings of Trenchant:
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Blasphemous to HOME PAGE