Pronunciation : rode-ménta-ree
1. Of or relating to basic facts or principles
2. Being in the earliest stages of development
3. Biology: Imperfectly or incompletely developed
4. Biology: In form of embryo, in an embryonic state
5. Pertaining to something either vestigial or embryonic
Origin: 1830–40, Latin rudîmentum early training, first experience, initial stage, equiv. to rudi(s) unformed, rough
basic, elementary, rudimental, abecedarian, basal, beginning, early, elemental, elemental, embryonic, fundamental, immature, immature, initial, introductory, larval, primary, primitive, simple, simplest, three R's, uncompleted, undeveloped, vestigial
additional, advanced, derivative, developed, extra, nonessential, sophisticated
• I have only a rudimentary knowledge of geometry.
• What strange developments of humanity, what wonderful advances upon our rudimentary civilization, I thought, might not appear when I came to look nearly into the dim elusive world that raced and fluctuated before my eyes.
• The primitive tribe's tools were very rudimentary. In fact, they looked more like rocks than like tools.
• The boy who had lived with wolves for fifteen years lacked even the most rudimentary social skills.
• The strange creature had small bumps on its torso that appeared to be rudimentary limbs.
• rudimental : Adjective
• rudimentarily : Adverb
• rudimentariness : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Follow These Links!