A Word A Day : Celerity
Tuesday, 27th May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : se-lérre-tee
1. quickness in movement or in doing something ( literary )
2. swiftness of action or motion
3. the characteristic of doing things without delay
4. to quicken the natural or ordinary progression or process of
5. the relative speed of progress or change
15th century - Via French - Latin celeritas - celer - swift
dispatch, expedition, expeditiousness, fleetness, haste, hurry, hustle, quickness, rapidity, rapidness, speed, speediness, swiftness
• They moved with great celerity when they heard about the flood.
• For the helmet of Pluto, which maketh the politic man go invisible, is secrecy in the counsel, and celerity in the execution.
• Time, with all its celerity, moves slowly to him whose whole employment is to watch its flight.
• Celeritas : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Celerity to HOME PAGE