Contraction : Grammar and Spelling Tips
In words such as isn't, I'm or don't, the apostrophe indicates that one or more letters have been left out.
• It's is the contracted form of It is or It has : not the possessive of it. The possessive is its with no apostrophe.
So you should say:
• It's a lovely day
• It's been a lovely day.
The dog is in its kennel. – This sentence is a wrong one.
• You’re is a contraction of You are. The possessive is your.
• You're my best friend. --- This is a right sentence.
• Your my best friend. --- This is a wrong sentence.
• Where is your friend? --- This is a right sentence.
• Where is you’re friend? --- This is a wrong sentence.
See our another section on Contractions.
From Contraction to HOME PAGE