A Word A Day : Demur
Saturday, 22nd March 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Verb & Noun )
Past and past participle : demurred
Present participle : demurring
3rd person present singular : demurs
Pronunciation : di-múr
Definition : Verb
1. to delay or try to avoid doing something because of personal reservations or objections
2. to object mildly to something that you do not want to do but have been asked to do
3. to admit the facts of an opposing argument, but object that those facts alone are not by themselves adequate to make the case
4. to state something as a mild objection or a legal demurrer
Definition : Noun
1. The act of demurring
2. An objection
3. A delay
13th century - Via Old French demorer - delay, stay - Latin demorare
Synonyms : Verb
balk, cavil, challenge, combat, complain, deprecate, disapprove, dispute, doubt, fight, hesitate, object, oppose, pause, protest, pussyfoot, refuse, remonstrate, resist, scruple, shy, stick, stickle, strain, take exception, vacillate, waver, dissent
Synonyms : Noun
challenge, exception, expostulation, objection, protest, protestation, remonstrance, remonstration, squawk
is the verb meaning to object or voice opposition.
is the adjective meaning modest or shy.
means literally feel or think differently.
means sit apart or disagree.
means to challenge the accuracy, probity or propriety of.
means to examine closely, aggressively or formally by posing a series of questions to.
Antonyms : Verb
accept, acquiesce, agree, concur, go along
Antonyms : Noun
acceptance, acquiescence, agreeing, concurrence, going along
• Her mother and father had consented without demur
and were happy in her happiness.
• After some delay and demur
, the door grudgingly turned on its hinges a very little way and allowed him.
• The rider now cast his eyes warily around in search of some cause for this demur
, when, to his dismay, he discovered an Indian fort within gunshot distance lowering through the twilight.
• They wanted to make him the treasurer, but he demurred
• She may be demure now about her role in the winning strategy, but later claim to demur
from the boss's views about it.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Demur to HOME PAGE