Past and past participle : rummaged
Present participle : rummaging
3rd person present singular : rummages
Pronunciation : rúm-mij
1. to make a rapid search for or through something by carelessly moving and disarranging things
2. to find something by searching
3. to make an energetic usually hasty search
1. a thorough search for or through something
2. a confusion of miscellaneous articles
3. a thorough search among a number of things
15th century - Old French arrumage - arrangement of cargo in a ship - run - ship's hold - Dutch ruim - space
comb, delve, dig out, disarrange, disarray, disorder, disorganize, disrupt, disturb, examine, explore, ferret out, fish, forage, grub, hunt, jumble, mess up, mix up, poke, rake, root, scour, search, seek, shake, shake down, spy, toss
coursing, exploration, field sport, following, frisking, game, hounding, hunting, inquest, inquiry, inquisition, interrogation, investigation, look-see, meddling, probe, prosecution, prying, pursuance, pursuing, pursuit, quest, race, raid, reconnaissance, research, rummage, scrutiny, search, seeking, sifting, snooping, sporting, steeplechase, study, tracing, trailing
line, order, peace
• She rummaged through the drawer to find her favorite pen.
• I generally go on a cupboard rummage after reading Pickwick.
• Now, I'll teach you to rummage my bookshelves. For they are mine. All the house belongs to me or will do in a few years.
• It is the nightly custom of every good mother after her children are asleep to rummage in their minds and put things straight for next morning.
• rummager : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Follow These Links!