Pronunciation : émmi-nen-ss
1. A position of great distinction or superiority
2. A projection or protuberance from the surface of a body part, especially a bone
3. A rise of ground
4. A person of high station or great achievements
Origin: 1375–1425 - late ME - L éminentia, equiv. to émin - base of éminére to stand out
authority, celebrity, credit, dignity, distinction, esteem, fame, famousness, glory, greatness, honor, illustriousness, influence, kudos, loftiness, notability, note, power, preeminence, prepotency, prestige, prominency, rank, renown, reputation, repute, significance, standing, superiority, weight, altitude, elevation, height, highland, highness, hill, hillock, knoll, loftiness, peak, project, prominence, promontory, raise, rise, summit, upland
Advantage is a relatively favorable position or superiority of means.
Vantage is a position, condition or opportunity that is likely to provide superiority or an advantage.
inferiority, insignificance, obscurity, unimportance, flat, low ground, cavity, depression, dip
• India has produced many philosophers of eminence.
• His eminence appears to enjoy good health, monseigneur.
• The ranges of mountain peaks which Captain Bonneville speaks of, as rising from its bosom, are probably the summits of mountains beyond it, which may be visible at a vast distance, when viewed from an eminence, in the transparent atmosphere of these lofty regions.
• Eminency : Noun
• Eminencies : Noun - Plural
• Eminent : Adjective
• Don't confuse this word with imminence.
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.