A Word A Day : Sloth
Tuesday, 18th March 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : slawth & slôth
1. a dislike of work or any kind of physical exertion
2. BIOLOGY : a slow-moving mammal that uses its long claws to hang upside down from tree branches. Native to: Central, South America. Genera Bradypus, Choloepus.
3. BIOLOGY : a pack or group of bears
4. habitual disinclination to exertion
5. apathy and inactivity in the practice of virtue (personified as one of the deadly sins)
[12th century - slow + -th, suffix forming nouns - Indo-European
do-nothingness, idleness, inactivity, indolence, inertia, lackadaisicalness, languidness, laxness, lethargy, listlessness, slackness, slothfulness, slowness, sluggishness, supineness, laziness
• The three-toed sloth
is so slow and lazy that it has green fur because of an algae that grows on it.
• Abashed by this question, I replied that sloth
was my chief temptation.
• The creature had exactly the mild but repulsive features of a sloth
, the same low forehead and slow gestures.
• Meanwhile, I had moved to sociable chambers within sound of the city clocks, and had lived the life of a lonely man about town, sinking more and more into the comfortable sloth
• To be lazy and sluggish is to be slothful
• Ophelia's slothful
husband virtually lived on the couch in the living room and the television remote control devise was in danger of becoming grafted to his hand.
• Ivan's weekends were devoted to sloth
. He never arose before noon and he seldom left the house before Monday morning.
• You may have seen a picture of an animal called a sloth
. It hangs upside down from tree limbs and is never in a hurry to do anything.
• To fall into sloth
is to act like a sloth
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Sloth to HOME PAGE