A Word A Day : Extemporaneous
Wednesday, 21st May 2008 : Today's Word is ...
( Adjective )
Pronunciation : ik-stèmpe-ráynee-ess
1. performed without any preparation
2. prepared in advance but delivered without notes
3. skilled at speaking without preparation or notes
4. done as a temporary measure
Mid-17th century - late Latin - extemporaneus - ex tempore - literally - out of the moment
ad-lib, extemporary, extempore, impromptu, improvised, offhand, snap,
• The speech teacher made the students give two extemporaneous speeches during the school year.
• Your own gift you can present every moment with the cumulative force of a whole life's cultivation; but of the adopted talent of another you have only an extemporaneous half possession.
• The child, sitting down with the old man close behind it, had been thinking how strange it was that horses who were such fine honest creatures should seem to make vagabonds of all the men they drew about them, when a loud laugh at some extemporaneous witticism of Mr Short's, having allusion to the circumstances of the day, roused her from her meditation and caused her to look around.
• He is an accomplished extemporaneous speaker.
• extemporize : Verb
• extemporary : Adjecive
• extemporal : Adjecive
• extempore : Adjecive
• extemporaneously : Adverb
• extemporaneity : Noun
• extemporaneousness : Noun
• extemporization : Noun
• extemporizer : Noun
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
A Word A Day Index
From Extemporaneous to HOME PAGE