English : Geek
What is the meaning of geek?
This is a word which is mostly used in informal contexts. A geek is a person who is disliked by most people because of his disgusting behavior or appearance. The ee is pronounced like the ee in bee, see and fee.
Here are a few examples.
• Our new chemistry professor looks like a geek. Wonder how he got the job.
• Who is the geek you were talking to?
• If you ask me, Maya's husband is a geek.
You may be interested to know that the word geek has another meaning as well. One that is more complimentary. A hardworking person can also be referred to as a geek.
• Mohan is the geek you find in the library all the time.
• Sunitha always goes to that geek Rakish just before the exams.
• I will not have anything to do with that geek.
Geek was first used to refer to people who performed in circuses. Not the acrobats, but those who performed unusual acts like biting off the head of a chicken, swallowing a live goldfish, etc. - acts which made the audience squirm. Or should I say acts which made the audience scream EEK.
COURTESY : The Hindu (The National News-Paper) - India
By using this page, you can increase your vocabulary faster and more easily than you may realize. You can, in fact, accomplish a tremendous gain in your communication skills in less than two to three months of concentrated effort, even if you go at your own speed of a page a day.
Letter of Invitation|
Letter of Condolence|
Synonyms and Antonyms
Longest Word |
From Geek to HOME PAGE