Partisan (PAHR in zun) n: one who supports a particular person, cause or idea
• Hendy’s plan to give himself the award had no partisan except himself.
• I am the partisan of any candidate who promises not to make promises.
• The mountain village was attacked by partisans of the rebel chieftain.
• Partisan can also be used an adjective meaning biased, as bipartisan means supported by two (bi) parties.
• Both the Republican and Democrats senators voted to give themselves a raise. The motion had bipartisan support.
Patent (PATE unt) adj: obvious
• To say that the earth is flat is a patent absurdity, since the world is obviously spherical.
• It was patently foolish of Lee to think that he could sail across the Pacific Ocean in a washtub.
We have tried our best to make this site as informative as possible. It will certainly help in broadening the horizons of knowledge of the visitors. We also apologize for the mistakes which are not deliberately committed. Both suggestions and criticisms to enhance the quality of this site are sincerely welcomed. Use our Contact Us form to submit both your suggestions and criticisms.
This site in general and this page in particular will certainly help the visitors to increase their knowledge of vocabulary in an exhaustive way. Whilst browsing through this list, at one full swoop you will pick up many words with the same or a related and the opposite meaning.
So enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.