Philistine (FIL i steen) n: a smugly ignorant person with no appreciation of intellectual or artistic matters
• The novelist dismissed his critics as philistines, saying they wouldn’t recognize a good book if it crawled up and bit them on the nose. The critics, in reply, dismissed the novelist as a philistine who wouldn't recognize a good book if it crawled up and rolled itself into his typewriter.
• Philistine can also be an adjective.
• To be philistine is to act like a philistine.
Pious (PYE us) adj: reverent or devout, outwardly (and sometimes falsely) reverent or devout, hypocritical
• This is a sometimes confusing word with meanings that are very nearly opposite to each other.
• A pious Presbyterian is one who goes to church every Sunday and says his prayers every night before bed. Pious in this sense means something like religiously dutiful.
• Pious can also be used to describe feelings or behavior that aren't religious at all but are quite hypocritical. The adulterous minister's sermon on martial fidelity was filled with pious disregard for his own sins.
• The state of being pious is piety.
• The opposite of pious is impious(IM pe us). Note the pronunciation.
We have tried our best to make this site as informative as possible. It will certainly help in broadening the horizons of knowledge of the visitors. We also apologize for the mistakes which are not deliberately committed. Both suggestions and criticisms to enhance the quality of this site are sincerely welcomed. Use our Contact Us form to submit both your suggestions and criticisms.
This site in general and this page in particular will certainly help the visitors to increase their knowledge of vocabulary in an exhaustive way. Whilst browsing through this list, at one full swoop you will pick up many words with the same or a related and the opposite meaning.
Reading this list is a great fun, while expanding your vocabulary at the same time. It is meant to help to improve the vocabulary of the visitors, the students (who are preparing for various examinations), the authors, journalists, literati and all other people who are interested in improving their language skills.
So enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
By using this page, you can increase your vocabulary faster and more easily than you may realize. You can, in fact, accomplish a tremendous gain in your communication skills in less than two to three months of concentrated effort, even if you go at your own speed of a page a day.