Qualitative and Qualify
Difficult Words : Qualitative and Qualify
Qualify (KWOL uh FYE) v: to modify or restrict
• You already know the primary meaning of qualify. Here's another meaning.
• Susan qualified her praise of Judith by saying that her kind words applied only to Judith's skillful cooking and not to her abhorrent personality. Judith was upset by Susan's qualification.
• The library trustees rated their fund-raiser a qualified success. Many more people than expected had come, but virtually no money had been raised.
• An unqualified success is a complete, unrestricted success.
Qualitative (KWOL i TAY tiv) adj: having to do with the quality or qualities of something (as opposed to the quantity)
• If a school achieves a qualitative improvement in attendance, it means that the school is being attended by better students.
• If the school achieves a quantitative improvement, it means the school is being attended by more students.
• The difference between the two restaurants was quantitative rather than qualitative. Both served the same dreadful food, but the second restaurant served more of it.
This site in general and this page in particular will certainly help the visitors to increase their knowledge of vocabulary in an exhaustive way. Whilst browsing through this list, at one full swoop you will pick up many words with the same or a related and the opposite meaning.
Reading this list is a great fun, while expanding your vocabulary at the same time. It is meant to help to improve the vocabulary of the visitors, the students (who are preparing for various examinations), the authors, journalists, literati and all other people who are interested in improving their language skills.
By using this page, you can increase your vocabulary faster and more easily than you may realize. You can, in fact, accomplish a tremendous gain in your communication skills in less than two to three months of concentrated effort, even if you go at your own speed of a page a day.
Go to The Difficult Words Index
Synonyms and Antonyms
Longest Word |
From Qualitative to HOME PAGE