A Word A Day : Quirk
Saturday, 27th October 2007 : Today's Word is ...
( Noun )
Pronunciation : kwurk
1. A strange and unexpected turn of events
2. A peculiar habit, mannerism, or aspect of somebody's character
3. A curved shape, pattern, or decoration, e.g. a flourish in handwriting
4. Architecture groove - a continuous groove running along a molding or separating a molding from adjoining members
Queerness, Quirkiness, Oddity, Crotchet, Strangeness, Unfamiliarity, Twist Of Fate, Fluke, Coincidence, Chance, Accident, Twist, Idiosyncrasy, Peculiarity, Foible, Habit, Eccentricity, Trait, Whim
• Somewhere in his make-up there was a strange twist or quirk
• Unfortunately for my stomach and mucous membranes, Nelson had a strange quirk
of nature that made him find happiness in treating me to beer.
Related Words :
Enjoy this list and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
From Quirk to HOME PAGE