Today's Word Subjugate
Monday, 20th August 2007 : Today's Word Subjugate is ...
( Verb )
Pronunciation : (sub'je-gat')
1. To bring under control
2. To make subservient
3. To win a victory over, as in battle or a competition
4. Prevail against
5. To make subservient or subordinate
6. Put down by force or intimidation
Middle English subjugaten, from Latin subiugāre, subiugāt- : sub-, sub- + iugum, yoke
• The tyrant subjugated all the peasants living in the kingdom. Once free, they were now forced to do his bidding.
• This kind of answer given in a measured official tone, as of a clergyman reading according to the rubric, did not help to justify the glories of the Eternal City.
• The rich landowners subjugated the peasants working in their lands.
Subjugation : Noun
Subjugator : Noun
Subjugable : Adjective
Enjoy this list on Word Subjugate and then get around for preparing your own list of words. There is no better way of boosting your words power. The most effective way to build your vocabulary is described in the page on Word Power. Educational research has discovered that your I.Q. is intimately related to your Word Power. Take a standard Vocabulary test and then an intelligent test, the result in both will be substantially the same. The more extensive your vocabulary, the better your chances of success, other things being equal- success in attaining your educational goals, success in moving ahead in your business or professional career, success in achieving your intellectual potential.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
Synonyms and Antonyms
Longest Word |
From Word Subjugate to HOME PAGE