syn, sym, syl & sys
are the Prefixes SYS, SYL, SYM & SYN
all meaning WITH, TOGETHER & ALONG WITH
. SYL is used before the letter l. SYM is used before the letter m. SYN is used before the letter n. It’s the old story of assimilation and labials causing the changes for the sake of euphony. Remember?
1. Syllable : SYL lable (sil’ a b’l) n.
One or more letters which together form one sound
2. Monosyllable : mono SYL lable (mon’ o syl a b’l) n.
A word of one syllable; as “no”
3. Syllogism : SYL logism (sil’ o jiz um) n.
A formal argument with a major and minor premise and a conclusion
4. Syllogist : SYL logist (sil’ o jist) n.
One skilled in syllogistic reasoning
5. System : SYS tem (sys’ tem) n.
A planned arrangement of procedures; method
6. Systematic : SYS thematic (sys tem at’ ik) adj.
Arranged methodically according to a system
7. Symbol : SYM bol (sim’ bol) n.
Something that stands as a visible sign of something else; as, a lion is a symbol of courage
8. Symbolize : SYM metry (sim’ e tree) n.
A balanced arrangement insize and form
10. Symmetrical : SYM metrical (si me’ tri k’l) adj.
Arranged in interchangeable parts
11. Sympathy : SYM pathy (sim’ pa thee) n.
Going along with others in feeling; as, sympathy for the homeless
12. Sympathetic : SYM pathetic (sym pa thet’ ik) adj.
Having mutual feelings; as, sympathy for others
13. Symphony : SYM phony (sim’ fo nee) n.
A harmony of sound; musicians playing in harmony
14. Synchronize : SYN chronize (sin’ kro nize) v.
To make happen at the same time
15. Syncopation : SYN copation (sin ko pay’ shun) n.
A temporary displacement of the regular accent
16. Syndactyl : SYN dactyl (sin dak’ tal) adj.
Having webbed feet; as, ducks
17. Syndicate : SYN dicate (sin’ di kat) n.
An association of persons for business
18. Syndrome : SYN drome (sin’ drome) n.
Signs and symptoms coming together at the same time
19. Synonym : SYN onym (sin’ o nim) n.
Two words which have practically the same meaning; as, system and method
20. Synthesis : SYN thesis (sin’ the sis) n.
A combination of parts to form a whole.SYN takes you along with your best.