A Word A Day : Amiable
Word of 24th June 2007 : A Word A Day-Amiable
( Adjective )
Amiable (AY mee uh bul): friendly, agreeable
• Our amiable guide made us feel right at home in what would otherwise have been a cold and forbidding museum.
• The drama critic was so amiable in person that even the subjects of negative reviews found it impossible no to like her.
• Amicable is a similar and related word. Two not very amiable people might nonetheless make an amicable agreement.
• Amicable means politely friendly, or not hostile. Two countries might trade amicably with each other even while technically remaining enemies.
• Jeff and Charisma had a surprisingly amicable divorce and remained good friends even after paying their lawyer's fees.
We have tried our best to make this site as informative as possible. It will certainly help in broadening the horizons of knowledge of the visitors. We also apologize for the mistakes which are not deliberately committed. Both suggestions and criticisms to enhance the quality of this site are sincerely welcomed. Use our Contact Us form to submit both your suggestions and criticisms.
Go to The A Word A Day Index
Synonyms and Antonyms
Vocabulary|English Teacher|Etymology|Longest Word |Letter Writing
From A Word A Day-Amiable to HOME PAGE